The politics of our soon-to-be Chinese overlords are incredibly interesting.
- China is an authoritarian government that lacks a true dictator.
- It’s ruled instead by a 9 men standing committee. The interesting thing is that the power of this Committee lies within it’s member, who hold extremely powerful positions like President, Vice President, and prime minister.
- This committee, along with the positions associated with it (Pres, VP, PM) change hands once every 10 years. Fall 2012 marks the change of leadership.
- China tries to keep this process very quiet and away from the international spotlight.
- Enter Bo Xilai, a sure-fire for the next standing committee. That was until last year, where he was connected to scandles about treason, bribery, and murder. And just like that, China’s most private moments has become the central plot on the international stage.